Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Extravagance of Grace

Psalm 103:10-12
10 "He has not dealt with us according to our sins,
Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him.
12 As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us."

Lost sheep, lost coins, lost boys, unjust stewards, prodigal sons and so many more of our Lord's parables are all about the extravagance of grace. The sheer joy and mirth of God's abundance towards sinners.

"He doesn't deal with us according to our sins!" Is there a more awe inspiring truth in all the world? The Holy One of Israel, the thrice Holy God of Isaiah (Is. 6:3; cf also Rev. 4:8), the One whose eyes are like "a flame of fire" (Rev. 2:18) in their purity, is so full of lovingkindness (Hb. hesed), that He condescends to remove my sin from me, as far as the east is from the west in an extension of grace and mercy designed to overwhelm my soul and make me a willing bondslave of love.

Willingly I sell my soul
To the bondage of love
Willingly I give my all
To the Savior above

Pierced by the weapon You wield
I surrender to the point of grace
And give my marrow and might
To the One who I embrace
My Lover, My Lord, My Light

No comments: