Saturday, March 24, 2007

Moving the conversation toward essentials

Recently I have been experimenting with a series of questions that are proving very helpful in moving my opportunites to proclaim Christ toward the essentials of the gospel.

They are not original with me. They come from the book, Share Jesus Without Fear, by William Fay. Here's the questions as I have been using them:

1. Do you have any kind of spiritual belief (system)?
2. Where does Jesus fit into your spiritual belief (system)?
3. Do you believe in a heaven or hell?
4. If you were to die today, where would you go heaven or hell?
5. If what you believed was false, would you want to know?

After each question I just shut up and listen. I listen to their answer to each question before moving on to the next question. I listen to where they are coming from and I let them do all the talking. Even if they answer no to question 3 and 5, I just shut up and let the silence become pregnant with anticipation.

Eventually, the person I am conversing with wants to know more and then I proceed on to either the Bible (Roman Road), or Anselm's gospel presentation (from the 11th century), or Would you like to know God personally? (Campus Crusade), or something similar. It has been exciting to see men and women really begin to deal with the person of Christ and his claims about these issues.

Try it. You might be surprised where the conversation goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those who do not have any faith, I think we can skip No. 2. Question 5 is really good. People will need to be extra narrow-minded to answer no, and saying that does not look good. Most people will answer yes, and that gives us a chance to share the gospel.

ChosenRebel said...

I have had one person say no, a moslem young man. It was a great opportunity to launch in to the difference between Islam and Christianity.

I think question 2 is always a good one, even when the person we are talking to has no belief in Jesus. Jesus is so pivitol in world impact that it is helpful to know how a person attempts to account for his life.

Thanks for the comments.