Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Wisdom from the Dead

John Piper's father died in early March of this year. Late in the month (3/28), John wrote a brief piece on things he learned from his father. Some of the things he wrote about, reminded me of some our own Schoenleber Family Slogans that I have worked over the years to build into our family. Perhaps I'll blog on our family slogans some time.

For now, here are the first two things he wrote about back in March. They are worth posting not because they are profound but becasue they are simple without being simplistic. So here's John Piper's first two lessons from his Dad. Enjoy.

1. The right road always leads to the right place; therefore, get on the right road and go as far as you can on it.

"My father was totally persuaded that wrong means do not lead to right ends. Or, more positively, he was persuaded that living in the right way--that is, doing the right things--are means that inevitably lead to where God wants us to be. This is why he told me, when I asked about God's leading in my life, 'Son, keep the room clean where you are, and in God's time, the door to the next room will open.'"

2. There is only one thing to do about anything; that is the right thing. Do right.

"This is what one might say to a person perplexed by a difficult situation whose outcome is unknown. The person might say, 'I just don't know what to do about this.' It is not useless to be told; Do the right thing. That may not tell you exactly which good thing to do, but it does clear the air and rule out a few dozen bad ideas."

6 comments:

Craver Vii said...

Bring out your dead!...

Here's another one from Hudson Taylor: "A little thing is a little thing, but faithfulness in little things is a great thing."

Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

I think the only "family slogan" I taught the kids that wasn't tied to a memory verse was, "when in doubt, don't".

I really liked one my BSF leader used this week, "the heart of the matter is always a matter of the heart."

Anonymous said...

ever since you brought up your family slogans in class I have been intersted in seeing them.

Craver Vii said...

How 'bout: "Do you WANT something to cry about?!"

Oh, that wouldn't count as a slogan, would it? Okay, nevermind.

Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

Craver, I actually think the saying goes, "I'm going to give you something to cry about".

And there's a reason I remember it so clearly!

And then there was, "Do you want me to take my belt off?"

ChosenRebel said...

Wow. A guys father dies and ...

I think I will blog on the Schoenleber family slogans. Look for it next week.