Saturday, April 05, 2008

Do Pastor's Have Those Kind of Days?

Yes. And sometimes, they last much longer than a day.

Personal Lament
(April 2-3, 2008)

Sand
Choking dust in an oasisless expanse
Stretching to every horizon
Sucking hope from a parched
and growing-desperate soul
looking for living water.

As a dear pants for water brooks
so my soul pants …
For You?
No it doesn’t Lord.
Where is the soft and supple
heart of flesh You promised?
Instead, a Saharan wind blows through
the stoney crevices of my sin-blistered heart
Winnowing my spirit and covering my joy
with dunes of waterless sand.

A cleansed heart, a steadfast spirit
inside me, not in a book
Would You give me that?
A restored joy, an enthralled heart
O God give me that!
Water this desert
Flood me with grace
till I drown in life.
O God give me that!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you write this poem? It is beautiful. People tell me that I am a good writer, but I probably would never be able to put out a poem like that. I am sorry that you are going through this tough time, Pastor Marty. But I want you to know that you have been such an encouragement to me and to the entire NSC congregation though with your messages and your love for God and others. And also Mrs. S (your wife) has been a great encouragement to me as well.:) And if I have learned anything from being in the desert spiritually, it's never to give up even if that is what one feels like doing.

ChosenRebel said...

Thanks for your comment Rachel and yes I wrote it. Mrs. S. will be encouraged too. Your counsel is wise. Keep growing in Christ.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am a friend of Rachel's and just wanted to say that this is a beautiful poem. You are a talented and amazing writer. I also wanted to say that I am sorry you are going through a difficult time, but know that God will pull you through and you will be stronger for it. Trust in Him and I will keep you in my prayers as well.

Raising Cains said...

you're in our prayers. hoping that your oasis will reveal itself sooner than later and that you will be able to drink deep of His living water.

Laura said...

I also agree that your writing speaks to the reader, you are an encourager and so is your bride. We are regularly reminded that desert experiences are unavoidable; often resulting from life changes where we are weak and vulnerable. Jesus identified with this while He walked on this earth. These times seem unexplainable yet God has purposes for these seasons. May the Lord lift you, encourage you, strenthen you, give you rest and may He fill your cup to overflowing. Thank you for your heart.