Monday, November 28, 2005

Ending and Starting Well

Nourishment for the Soul

“Burning hearts are not nourished by empty heads.” I’m not sure who said it, but I agree with it one hundred percent. We’re about to end one year and start another, and I’ve got a great year end or New Year resolution for all of us. Choose a book by a “God-intoxicated” writer and read it over the next 31 days.

My prayer is that you will end and begin the year with a renewed and deepening passion for Christ. The right book will be a tremendous aid to finishing 2005 and starting 2006 well.

Here's some recommendations:
1. Desiring God, by John Piper
2. Life Together, by Deitrich Bonehoeffer
3. Future Grace, by John Piper
4. The Autobiography of John Paton, by John Paton
5. Heaven, by Randy Alcorn
6. Unveiled Hope, by Scotty Smith and Michael Card
7. A Heart for God, by Sinclair Ferguson
8. Rich Mullins: An Arrow Pointed Toward Heaven, by James Bryan Smith
9. A Chance to Die, by Elizabeth Elliot (Biography of Amy Carmichael)

2 comments:

paroikeo said...

Does Shadow of the Almighty, by Elisabeth Elliot count?

I have just started this book and am already amazed at how passionate Jim Elliot was at such a young age. It causes me to look at myself and consider how much of a wimp in Christ I really am. Yet, God is forgiving and will take me in spite of this.

It is amazing what a single book can do to light a fiery passion in one's soul.

ChosenRebel said...

Yes, and I would add, Jim Elliot's journals to the list as well.