Thursday, December 01, 2005

Tuesday Night at Denny's

So Tuesday night I go to Denny's and play the apostle Paul at Athens. I just watch and think and pray about all the people who need Christ. Sat in the smoking section and saw an interesting parade of people. I will go back next week and see who the regulars are.

Found out that Friday and Saturday nights are packed. A lot of 20 somethings and a smattering of every other age group from seventy to fourteen. Sobering to know that I am closer to the former rather than the latter.

My hope is to begin to strike up some conversations and perhaps plant a church right there in the booths of Denny's. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Marty,
After discussing your idea for church plants in 2006, I got to thinking. I decided that the place most ripe in my world for this type of plant is the CPC. These women come in, sometimes find Christ, sometimes just a mortal friend, sometimes just a can of formula. But they're not going to just start going to a church out of the blue. And it's just the type of thing Marilyn would jump at. We've been talking for over a year about how women are coming to Jesus, but we have no discipling system (that's not our intention, but it's one of our desires). So, anyway, I feel like the CPC would be a great place for a potential plant.

By the way, I went to a Denny's one Saturday at midnight (right after coming off a fast) in college and ordered 6 pies with 5 friends. The goal was for each of us to eat one slice of each pie. We managed to bargain for free milk out of the deal. Probably needless to say, I didn't make it. All this to say that Denny's draws some odd characters.